Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lost In The One Part of My Life I Never Thought I Would Be

This week at work I have felt as if everything I have learned about teaching flew out the window. Everything that I was comfortable with was there last week and this week left with the arctic cold front that just hit us. I have been feeling like I am falling into a deep black hole with no way out. The last time I felt like this was my very first day of teaching when I had no idea what to do with twenty, four year old children looking at me trying to talk to me in Spanish and all I could do was smile and nod.

If you are wondering why I am feeling like I live on a strange planet all by myself......

well this week I was given a new student. He is the cutest, littlest boy I have ever seen. I mean he doesn't even look like he should be in 1st grade......I just want to take him home with me. Now, even though he is so cute- cute doesn't help me get him where he needs to be. First he doesn't speak a lick of English and second he barely knows anything in his own language. He is six years old and a completely lost little boy. I simply feel so bad for him.

I love being a teacher. I love the joys, the adventures, the AHA moments, the getting thousands of hand drawn pictures of the same thing moments, the hugs, the conversations....I love it all. But this week really knocked me down. I need my world back-and I hope it comes back soon.

1 comment:

  1. Chanelly,
    That is why "YOU" are a special teacher, a special person and your childern, your students and that ONE special little boy are sooooo very lucky to have "YOU" as their teacher, friend and the one to "LOOK UP To"....for HELP, reassurance and that special look you give them to make them feel "GOOD" inside !!! Your a Special, Loving, Great, Fantastic and Beautiful Lady and you need to look in the mirror and smile, your Wonderful !!! Remeber that....OK? I Love You, Mom

    ReplyDelete