Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas To All & To All A Goodnight

As the Christmas lights glimmered on the bushes, the steady crisp air of the wind ran through the house, and the sounds of Christmas filled the air I felt as if the night was in slow motion. Laughter, joy, happiness, and warmth filled the air and the magic of Christmas filled the eyes, hearts and souls of each person in the room. The kids ran through the house (laughing, screaming, joking, and smiling) as if Santa had just arrived and the reindeer were on the roof. The dogs were in seventh heaven, as they were outside helping their self to the kids leftover dinners that they simply picked at. My parents and Drew's parents were sitting inside watching the chaos and trying to engage in some sort of conversation. Andia laid on the couch curled up in a blanket trying to keep her tired body awake for more than a few hours and Euro ran through the house taking anyone and everyone's drink and gulping it down as if he had never had a drink in his life. Seven juice boxes and one Coke later he was hanging on Lyn's neck fighting his heavy eyelids that just wanted to close. And in the midst of the chaos (which an outside that may have been watching would have simply pulled his/her hair out and ran the other away) we all knew what was going on. There were no rules or guidelines lastnight and somehow everything worked out just perfect.



When it was time to open Christmas presents we all sat there still talking not really caring about the presents under the tree, until Eyahna and my aunt began begging for us to pass out presents. As I gave Quisha, Eyahna, and Edgerrin a present each to pass out, Edgerrin simply stated, "Wheres my present?" Even at the age of 4 he knew that he wanted his present not to be passing out presents! As we grow and get older we forget the anticipated, excited, anxious feeling that overwhelms our bodies when we see Christmas presents under the tree. As I sat back to watch my family enjoy the time of the season I started to think about what the year has brought. As the memories of 2008 filled the air around me, I began to think about how much Drew and I have been blessed with! We have made new friends, traveled, and found happiness in times that no one would of thought that happiness could lie.
As Drew and I layed in bed lastnight, or early this morning at 1:00 am, I simply stated how happy I was that the tradition of spending Christmas with Andia and the kids actually happened. I do not think that I could of handled a single moment if those five incredibly strong people were not there to share in the moment and create memories that I will hold for a life time. Before we know it time passes by rather quickly and unexpected, unexplainable moments occur. With each day comes a new lesson and we tend to get stuck in the "comfort" of our own lives. We seldom express our true thoughts and feelings and place a band-aide on what is really going on. We put on a "happy go lucky" front and hide what is really happening. With the time of the season make an effort be a positive person in someone's life- you never know who might need it. Drew and I hope that each of you were able to experience the "anticipated, excited, anxious" feeling that filled each of us at the age of 4 at Christmas time!

No comments:

Post a Comment