Wednesday, January 21, 2009

$2.65 Is It, I'm Not Rounding Up.

With this week being a short week and the Inauguration of President Obama our school days has been anything but normal. I've had to think on my feet and gather materials rather quickly. In the midst of the craziness, Lindsay and I were asked (for the millionth time) when we were going to one of her student's restaurants. After being asked everyday since the beginning of the school year and being offered a free dinner we finally decided to take this parent up on her offer. Tonight Lindsay and I went to endulge in the traditional Cuban cuisine.
We ordered plantanos, ropa vija, rice and beans, and ensalata de la casa. It was delicious! We ate and ate and ate.....until we physically couldn't put anymore into our mouth. But the food was still sitting in front of us and I simply couldn't stop! We enjoyed every minute of the fried, greasy, unhealthy food and the time to talk about other things than work and being able to actually talk to an adult rather than children. We boxed up our leftovers into three boxes (yes three boxes......thats how much food we had!) We were getting ready to leave when the waitress asked, "one check or two?" I'm sure you are asking yourself, "what is this waitress thinking or talking about? Isn't it suppose to be free?" Yes, Lindsay and I were asking each other the same questions.......but with our eyes and trying our hardest to answer each other as quiet as possible. We were also under the assumption that the food was FREE. Now let me remind you of the definition of free according to the Webster Dictionary:

"Free (adjective, fre⋅er, fre⋅est, adverb, verb, freed, free⋅ing. –adjective): 11- provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment: free parking; a free sample.

So when the bill came we were rather taken by surprise.....we had to pay the bill. Its not like we could have argued with the Spanglish speaking waitress.

Now here is the real question....to tip or not to tip?
When you go out to dinner, what do you base the tip off of? Service.....attitude.....food......honesty......all of the above. Well I asked Lindsay what was 20% of the bill (remember I am not a mathematician) and she said if I rounded up it would be about $3.00. This is the point that I said, "Oh NO, I am not rounding up....I want the exact amount". So I pulled out my handy-dandy Iphone and calculated the tip....$2.65. That is the tip I left.....which in turn I made Lindsay leave as well.

Before we know it we are contemplating choices of right and wrong, whats the right thing to do and the wrong thing to do, should I or shouldn't I, can I or can't I. Am I wrong for giving the exact tip (down to the penny) or am I wrong for not making a big deal about the situation? Here's to life choices......making the "adult" decisions in a time where I wanted to be a complete child about it. Loved my not so free Cuban dinner tonight......


P.S.- Incase you didn't believe me about getting the check......... Smile Lindsay you are on Candid Camera.......Yeah I wish!

1 comment:

  1. um... what? They offered you a free meal and then made you pay? Were the parents there so you could have given them a dirty look or told them off? That sucks.

    ReplyDelete