Wednesday, March 25, 2009

on your mark....get set.....go

As many of you know, I ran a 5k race on the beach this past Saturday. It was my first race and I think I did a marvelous job! My one goal that I set for myself was to run then entire race. Well, I did, even though I wanted to curl up into a little ball and not finish every time I had to manuver around the rock walls, but I actually accomplished my goal. I ran a 5k in 30.20!!!!! WOOHOO- go me!!!! It was hard......it was definitely hard. The last time I ran was a loooooong time ago and I was unsure of how I was going to do it (especially since I am not a runner......and I have never ran on the beach before).

I started out at a good pace and I just kept going.......my feet didn't even think about stopping. It was a natural high- hard to explain but- energy just seemed to pour out of me. The more I ran......the farther I pushed myself......the adrenaline lifted me above the clouds and I didn't care that I was thirsty........or sweaty......or tired because I was on 5 hours of sleep. I think I have found a new love......a love for pushing myself and accomplishing something that I never thought I could. I didn't win any prize or get first, second, or third place in any category but I finished- I accomplished my goal- that's all I care about!!!! (I gave myself a pat on the back)!

Before we know it..........we reevaluate our likes, dislikes, hobbies, interest. We let go of old habitats and take on new ones. Sometimes the newbies are not any better than the old but other times the newbies make us feel better. They give us a feeling of success, and accomplishment......we feel good about our self. This newbie of mine has definitely sparked a new interest that I am thinking about taking on. I am seriously thinking about running in another race on April 18- not a beach run, but all in all it is a race- I will keep you posted.......time will tell!

Wylie & Jean coming across the finish line!!!

TWO THUMBS UP LADIES


P.S. Wylie- I totally think we should take this on together.......just think how good you felt afterwards!!!! So glad we did this together! Thanks for inviting me- Love you lots!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I CANNOT believe you put that picture on the blog! I am so embarassed, you didn't mention that we were running across almost dead last, had to push the special olymics person out of the way so we wouldn't finish last! I am glad you had fun, I will totally do another one with you, it was fun, but totally exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I wasn't going to announce any disappointments on this posting- it was our first race and YOU did walk it......thats why you were dead last!!! What do you say about doing one on April 18? Think about it!

    ReplyDelete